Proceedings Vienna, 2005
Virtual heritage, reconstruction and histories; digital design, representation and visualisation; design methods, process and creativity; knowledge based design and generative systems; human-machine interaction; form and fabric; building information modelling and construction management; linking education, research and practice.
CAAD Futures 2005 - Learning from the past, a foundation for the future.
Special Publication of Papers Presented at the CAAD Futures 2005 Conference
Vienna University of Technology, Vienna, Austria
June 20-22, 2005.
Edited by Bob Martens and Andre Brown.
IRIS-ISIS Publications, Vienna
- Digitally Sponsored Convergence of Design Education, Research and Practice. Mark Burry.
- Space, Time, Mind: Toward an Architecture of Sentient Buildings. Ardeshir Mahdavi.
- Constructing Complexity: William J. Mitchell.
- Labyrinthine digital histories. Bharat Dave.
- A 3D Model of the Inner City of Beijing. Chiu-Shui Chan, Anrong Dang and Ziyu Tong.
- A Method Proposed for Adoption of Digital Technology in Architectural Heritage Documentation. Anetta Kepczynska-Walczak.
- From Architectural Intent to Physical Model. Alberto Sdegno.
- Interactive Visualization of Large-Scale Architectural Models over the Grid. Shuhong Xu, Chye Kiang Heng, Ganesan Subramaniam, Quoc Thuan Ho, Boon Tat Khoo, and Yan Huang.
- Townscaping: Development of Dynamic Virtual City Augmented 3D Sketch Design Tools. Changzhi Peng.
- Towards a Virtual Reality Tool for Lighting. Communication and Analysis in Urban Environments. Souha Tahrani, Jihen Jallouli, Guillaume Moreau, and Philippe Woloszyn.
- A Visual Landscape Assessment Approach for High-density Urban Development. Jie He, Jin Yeu Tsou, Yucai Xue, and Benny Chow.
- Architectural Cinematographer: An Initial Approach to Experiential Design in Virtual Worlds. Carlos Calderon, Nicholas Worley, and Karl Nyman.
- Virtual Environments in Design and Evaluation. Orit Palmon, Rivka Oxman, Meir Shahar, and Patrice L. Weiss.
- Do We Need CAD During Conceptual Design? Zafer Bilda and John Gero.
- Contemporary Digital Techniques in the Early Stages of Design. Michael Knight, Wolfgang Dokonal, Andre Brown, and Claire Hannibal.
- Optimizing Architectural Layout Design via Mixed Integer Programming. Kamol Keatruangkamala and Krung Sinapiromsaran.
- Examining Learning in Multiple Settings. Thomas Kvan and Song Gao.
- Using Historical Know-how to Model Design References. Ivanka Iordanova and Temy Tidafi.
- Semantic Roomobjects for Conceptual Design Support. Bodo Kraft and Gerd Schneider.
- Shared Design Space. Jane Burry, Andrew Burrow, Robert Amor, and Mark Burry.
- Generation of Apparently Irregular Truss Structures. Thomas Fischer.
- Dynamic Designs of 3D Virtual Worlds Using Generative Design Agents. Ning Gu and Mary Lou Maher.
- Using Cellular Automata to Generate High-Density Building Form. Chrstiane M. Herr and Thomas Kvan.
- Dynamic Generative Modelling System for Urban and Regional Design. Luca Caneparo.
- Turning the Design Process Downside-up. Fabian Scheurer.
- iSphere: A Proximity-based 3D Input Interface. Chia-Hsun Lee, Yuchang Hu, and Ted Selker.
- Learning Design With Digital Sketching: Copying Graphic Processes from Animations and Storyboards. Nancy Yen-wen Cheng and Andrew McKelvey.
- Simulating Human Behaviour in Built Environments. Wei Yan and Yehuda Kalay.
- Resolving Some Ambiguities in Real-time Design Drawing Recognition by means of a Decision Tree for Agents. Henri Achten.
- Sketching with Digital Pen and Paper. Alexander Koutamanis.
- Mindstage: Towards a Functional Virtual Architecture. Paul Richens and Michael Nitsche.
- Advanced Ubiquitous Media for Interactive Space. Taysheng Jeng.
- Hands Free: A Wearable Surveying System for Building Surveying. Frank Petzold and Christian Buergy.
- Responsive Sensate Environments: Past and Future Directions. Kirsty Beilharz.
- The Redefinition of Ornament. Kai Strehlke and Russell Loveridge.
- Woodframe Grammar. Lawrence Sass.
- Transformations on Parametric Design Models. Carlos Barrios.
- Spatial Reasoning for Building Model Reconstruction Based on Sensed Object Location Information. Georg Suter, Klaus Brunner and Ardeshir Mahdavi.
- Construction Analysis during the Design Process. Bauke de Vries and Jeroen Harink.
- A Software Architecture for Self-updating Life-cycle Building Models. Klaus Brunner and Ardeshir Mahdavi.
- Multidisciplinary Design in Virtual Worlds. Michael Rosenman, G. Smith, L. Ding, D. Marchant, and Mary Lou Maher.
- A Multi-Disciplinary Design Studio using a Shared IFC Building Model. Jim Plume and John Mitchell.
- Case Studies of Web-Based Collaborative Design. Eberhard Laepple, Mark Clayton, and Robert Johnson.
- Interdisciplinary Knowledge Modelling for Free-Form Design: An Educational Experiment. Tuba Kocaturk and Martijn Veldkamp.
- Interplay of Domains. Marc Aurel Schnabel.
- Interactive Inverted Perspective Rendering for Architectural Visualization. Vinod Srinivasan, Ozan Onder Ozener, Ergun Akleman.
- Form Follows Data. Andrew Vandemoere.
- A Design Model Using Mutation Shape Emergence. Choi Hyun-Ah and Jun Han-Jong.
- SGTools: A Computer Tool for Exploring Designs with Set Grammars. Luis Romao.
- A Preliminary Model of Creativity in Digital Development of Architecture. Chun-Yu Hsieh.
- Integrating Generative Modelling and Design Process. Kyle Talbott.
- Grammar Transformations: Using Composite Grammars to Understand Hybridity in Design. Scott Chase and Sumbul Ahmad.
- Hermes: A Computational Tool for Proportional Studies in Design. Hyoung-June Park, Athanassios Economou, and Panos Papalambros.
- A System Model for Identifying Historic Buildings by Using Multiple Typologies. Burcu Senyapili.
- Housing Layout Design Using Fractals. Yoshihiro Kobayashi and Subhadka Battina.
- Collective Pavilions: A Generative Architectural Modelling for Traditional Chinese Pagoda. Kai Liao and Chia Y. Han.
- The Concept Space Explorer. Chieh-Yen Lin and Mao-Lin Chiu.
- Assessing Virtual Tangibility. Hartmut Seichter.
- CAVE as Crit-Space. Wingly Shih.
- Interfacing the Real and the Virtual: User Embodiment in Immersive Dynamic Virtual Spaces. Petra Gemeinboeck and Roland Blach.
- Integrated Computer-Assisted Building Surveying for Architectural Planning. Dirk Donath and Torsten Thurow.
- A 3D Point-cloud-based Verification of As-built Construction Progress. Naai-Jung Shih and Ming-Chang Wu.
- Searching with Experience. Jos van Leeuwen, Joran Jessurun and Glenco Jansen.
- Developing a User Location Prediction Model for Ubiquitous Computing. Yungil Lee, Jinwon Choi, and Jumphon Lertlakkhanakul.
- The State of the Art of Finnish Building Product Modelling Methodology. Hannu Pentilla.
- Design Using Evolutionary Optimisation and Associative Geometry. Dominik Holzer, Jiwu Tang, Mike Xie, and Mark Burry.
- Parametric Design in Protospace 1.1. Hans Hubers.
- Talking Dirty: Formal and Informal Communication in Construction Projects. Dermott McMeel, Richard Coyne, and John Lee.